Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Jamm rekk.


It's hard to believe that we only have one day left in Africa. It has been an eye-opening and interesting week of experiences in Godel, Dakar, and Thies. It's strange to think that a week ago we were all visiting the Goree slave house and witnessing the sad and awful history of the slave trade. In contrast to the experience at Goree, the time in the village was uplifting. I couldn't have imagined the people in Godel to be as relational and caring as they are, and I enjoyed a lot of time getting to know the young boys and the young men, some who were about my age. One of the best parts of being in the village was the meal they made for us and the singing and dancing in the celebration in honor of our visit. We all have benefited from this trip--emotionally; physically; spiritually--yet I hope that we have made as much of an impact on the people in Godel as they have made on us. I have found God to be revealing of Himself to me here in Africa, but maybe it is because I'm looking for Him a little harder right now. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, and support.


Dave Berka

1 comment:

  1. My prayers continue to go out to you all. I find myself reflecting on the feelings that flooded over me the day or so before I left Senegal .... its very hard to discribe. I fell in love with the people I had met there so quickly. I have enjoyed the daily updates. Each summary made tears flow and my heart tighten. I could instantly visualize, hear, taste, smell.... it all would come flowing back. Thank you for taking the time to share.
    Prepare for what is yet to come... What will you do with what He has shown you? I look forward to your return and your stories :)
    God Bless,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete