Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Senegal Kitchen



This is a typical Senegal kitchen in the village. Last time in Senegal, I spent a day in the village. I love to watch them cook and prepare a meal. It's amazing! They can cook rice to perfection over a fire and never burn it. We got all these gadgets and equipment and to me it always taste better in the village. Maybe I'm a bit more hungry when I am in the village, I don't know.
I ate something this last trip that were interesting. The sour milk over millet is always interesting, but this time for dessert we had Senegalese yogurt. My friend who lives in Senegal, (whose name I will not identify, because I don't want to embarrass him :) who was with me, leans over and says...this you might want to be very careful with eating...in other words it could make you sick.
Well as always, I say a little prayer, and I partake in it. Well, my friend ended up on the toilet for the next 24 hours and Thank God that I didn't get sick(I did feel bad for my friend....)Now there's a wave of people claiming in the Thies region that Rick is more Serer than *&^#.
I can't help the fact that I didn't get sick...but it sure brought some humor to my friends there.
God is Good.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, i did hear about this :) i had a good laugh about it as well...though i did feel bad for him also :)

    ReplyDelete