Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Inside/Outside



Greetings-
We are back from being in the village for two days. As usual,it is filled with anticipation,surprise and exhaustion. It is amazing as you travel down the road in anticipation of what lies ahead in the next few days. As you dive inside of the village, you see things that you did not realize before and you build on your knowledge of things that you didn't quite understand before as well.

When we entered the village, they gave us a huge greeting...all my little friends were the first to greet us. Oh, how some of them have grown! It is so cool to call them out by name as they yell out your name "Rick!!'. We cross cultures and we embrace in a hug. Some know the routine and some are a little hesitant of hugs and I respect that. Then I met the chief in his compound. Our greeting is of great anticipation and warmth. I can not tell you in words what it means for me to have the opportunity to have this relationship. It is special.

They were extremely happy that I had my oldest daughter with me. They welcomed her in glee.
we were really touched at lunch time as they brought a special bowl of rice for Sadie, because they remembered seven years ago that she is a vegetarian. I felt guilty that I don't remember some of their names year after year...but they remember it seems everything. It teaches me to improve my listening skills...because here in the US, we tend to not listen very good eh?

I know i get frustrated when I have told people things time and time again the same info...but I find I am guilty of it as well. The village life teaches me so much about life.
We spent the night in the village and as the sun went down, the earth cools at a fast pace. The village quickly resorts to dancing to stay warm. The kids kick up dust with great laughter and silliness. It is a hoot.
We returned today with our water steaming hot(it reached over 100 degrees today) and when down the road, we stopped and had the 'best cold coca-cola' in the world.
It was an end to a great time in a village that is so dear to our hearts...
We pray to return soon...

This is a village that I have been visiting since 2001. Through the years I have watched people grow up, people die and people being born. It is in some part become my family. Today the chief of the village said to me that "you are home' when you come to our village and reminded us that we are welcome any time.
So we see the outside of the villages , and it all looks good, with people happy and smiling....but we know deep inside their is an emptiness...and I know what that is....
So we anticipate our next visit.

1 comment:

  1. HI Rick!,
    Thanks so much for your wonderful account of your recent trip to our beloved Senegal! I am praising God for all of your wonderful news and especially the relationship building that took place. Ten of us are heading out Thursday. Hope to see you in the near future! Thanks for all the great pictures!

    DArla

    ReplyDelete