Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Congo Initiative is impacting the Democratic Republic of Congo

Here is a testimony from a UCBC Student Testimony: Amani, 18 yrs., 1st Year Student
Go to Congo Initiative to find out more about this transformational ministry.


Why did you come to UCBC?

I came because I have a plan in my life. I want to use computers in all the ways it can be used. The first reason I came to UCBC was to get a degree in Computer Science. This faculty does not exist in this region of Congo.

Second reason is because it is Christian and all human values are respected. UCBC will help me go ahead in Science. It is advanced with Internet, library, and English language. But, having values with Science is important.

What makes UCBC different from other universities?

In the town I am from, Butembo, I am afraid of the universities. Students are aggressive, many of them do drugs and drink and are sexually promiscuous. Students at UCBC are being transformed. Student's from other universities that come to UCBC change.

Example...we were in a small accident with the van. Students from other universities would have beaten or killed the driver. Our students acted differently-- we were transformed, different. Teachers come with their own ways of teaching that are not necessarily the best. They are getting used to our philosophy and education here and also transforming the way they teach. My hope is that we continue to all be transformed. This is why I am committed to UCBC.

Why is UCBC important for change in Congo?

We don't want to continue having the same type of leaders we have had in the past. We need new leaders in all aspects of society to avoid corruption and immoral values that currently exist. We have many intellectuals, but they do not know how to apply their studies practically. It will be good if I can apply my knowledge of computer science into society with moral and ethical values. I want to leave UCBC when I know I have the knowledge and the values instilled in me. We need people who are transformed to transform this country. If we can have such a university it is good for the country. Nothing is impossible.

How has UCBC impacted you personally?

Since I came here, I didn't know anything about university, English, or computers. Also, inside myself, my heart, I'm growing step by step as I learn at UCBC. Chapel time, sports, and all the activities we have here help me grow. When I came here, I had my personal time for things such as prayer, but here I'm constantly reminded that I have someone who is leading my life.

A day before school began I was supposed to go to Bukavu for studies, but I was able to visit Beni and decided to attend UCBC. I thank the Lord because I am here.

I thank the Lord for bringing Congo Initiative and UCBC to Beni and our country. I believe it is helping our country develop. I hope all the projects we have will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment