Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Exploration


Do you like exploring?
I do. I love visiting new places. I love looking under rocks. I like the old Forest Gump saying..."Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your going to get"

That's where I am in life right now. After thirteen years of owning and running a small business, the season's are changing.
Is it a mid life thing at 48 years of age? Maybe. Is it in obedience to God? Yes.
You see eleven years ago I sat on a plane for the first time with my old pastor going to Romania on a cross cultural trip to visit a missionary we support as a church. This was the first time I was ever on a plane and I was flying all the way to Budapest, Hungary.
Little did I know, that on that trip, I would be introduced to Africa. The leader of that trip asked me during our time in Romania if I had any interest in going to Africa next February. I told him , I would talk to my wife and consider it in prayer.
Almost nine years later, I find myself selling my business and going full time into 'ministry' with an emphasis on community development and business as mission in West Africa.
The year 2010 looks to be full of challenges,changes and excitement for me.
I can't wait to see what is under the next rock!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick I am so excited for you and your family. Many of us are blessed by your vision and many of us caught the vision even if it is only once a year! God Bless you all in you prayerful pondering of God's plan for Africa.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete