Pages

Welcome

Mission Statement
Rural Empowerment Initiatives (REI) mission is to collaborate in the reduction of poverty through investment in rural areas and training of local people.

Vision Statement
REI's vision is to treat every created being with dignity, respect and love. We strive to work with those most in need by empowering people to recognize their God given talents, enabling them to make the world a better place and providing them hope for the future.

Our Principles
REI believes that all people are created equal.
REI will develop small to medium businesses (SMEs) as one approach to reach those most in need by creating jobs that build the economy in rural areas.
REI's partner businesses will be led, managed and majority owned by local people.
REI will always seek a triple bottom line of economic, spiritual and social transformation.
REI seeks to build sustainable community-oriented business models.
REI's focus of support is to the economically disadvantaged.
REI will seek attractive market and growth opportunities.
REI will incubate pilot projects with capable management.
REI believes in collaboration. We seek partners whose strengths complement our own in an effort to build well-rounded projects of lasting economic value for the communities in which we work.
REI is inspired by the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and is therefore rooted in the Christian faith.

Give Online

Give Online
Scroll down and look for people and my name Rick S.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hello...Hello...Hello...my time at Echo Conference


I just returned from the 16th annual Echo conference held in Fort Myers, Florida. Overall it was a great experience and opportunity. I met and interacted with people that came from all over the world that had the same focus, to meet the needs of the majority world and fight hunger.

I am still processing all the info I took in. I was amazed that in every session, there was something that could apply to our approach in ministry. I was in my element.


I grew up on a farm in south central Wisconsin. There I have found memories of doing field work, feeding cattle, and most of all enjoying God's creation. I still wish it would have worked out for my dad to remain in the farming business for longer than it did. I am sure that my dad was always a farmer at heart. :)

Years later, I became an avid gardener, loving to get my hands back in the dirt. I began to learn more about plants and started thousands of plants from seed in my basement. I remember working with my dad and trading 'secrets' about gardening. I always dreamed of being 'part of a farm again'. Then came my business and life changed. I had 'no time' for it.

Now, in processing, I just returned from something that stirred up a deep love. Agriculture and plants. I believe it has come full circle. I heard about amazing farming techniques in the tropics. I heard about a missionary that has helped begin the transformation of Niger. Their approach of Farmer's Managed Agroforesty Farming System is truly making a difference. Niger is one of the poorest countries of the world. Food security here is vital.

I heard about weaving Ag development with participation of the community. What a novel idea! It's time to listen to the community in which we work and build off what they know. In my little experience on the field, I am convinced I will always know very little and the community knows a lot.

This is where development starts- Listening...Learning...Sharing

1 comment:

  1. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete